In this message I talk about what does it mean to be on mission with God and what is the mission of God. In Matt 28, the last words of Jesus to His disciples, Jesus gives His marching orders to the disciples. From this passage we can not only determine what the mission of God is, but also what it looks like to be on mission with God.
Seek First: The Mission of God (Matt 28:16-20)
• It is in this statement, “Therefore go and make disciples of all nations,” that Jesus gives His disciples and us another big part of the mission of God.
o Being on mission with God is to take the Gospel to the ends of the earth.
o This is both across the street and around the world.
Let me be very clear it’s a both and.
• In this statement “go and make disciples of all nations” there are two parts.
o Makes disciples. Go to all the nations
• In the NIV the word nations is used 537 times.
• Other passages like Matt 12:21 In his name the nations will put their hope.
o How can they put their hope in Jesus if they don’t hear His name?
• Matt 24:14 And this gospel of the kingdom will be preached in the whole world as a testimony to all nations, and then the end will come.
o Preaching to all nations is tied to the end times
• Luke 24:47 and repentance for the forgiveness of sins will be preached in his name to all nations, beginning at Jerusalem.
o Until they hear the name Jesus and come to believe they are still under the burden of their sins.
• We cannot lose the force of the statement that God is a God of all nations.
o His mission is to take the message of His son Jesus to all nations, across the street and around the world.
Verse 17 It is into this worship service, and amidst the doubt that existed around them, that Jesus speaks and gives them this great commission.
o The call from Jesus to do missions is born out of worship.
• Rather than let our doubts drive our actions or inactions, let’s bring our doubts to Jesus as Thomas did.
Verse 18 The implication here is that Jesus then gives that authority to us.
• This removes the fear that somehow, I have to do this, or make this happen.
Verse 19 We must remember that God is a God to all nations.
• The most important thing to remember from this verse is that Jesus tells us to make disciples
o He doesn’t call us to the nations to fix all their problems.
o He calls us to the nations to make Jesus known and to make disciples of Jesus
Verse 20 Jesus ends His command to go by reminding us that He is always with us.
• This is His mission, and He has not left us alone.
o This again takes away the fears.