Doing Love Right (2023) (John 13:34)
John 13: 34 Jesus is nearing the end of this life on earth, and He is giving His disciples instructions on how to live and how to spread the Gospel after His death.
- So, Jesus starts by giving a “New Command
- First, it is a command straight from the mouth of Jesus.
- So it’s pretty clear that Jesus is telling us to do this. It’s not a casual suggestion.
- This command in John 13:34 is how Jesus’ disciples were to live after His death.
- The second, thing we need to see here is that this is a “New” command
- So this commandment to love goes against the old order of things.
- The old order of things was law following.
- There is something about Human nature that loves law following, and law creating.
- What is this new command? “Love one another”
- Simply that. Not real complicated, easy to remember but perhaps hard to do.
- It is the Greek word, “Agape,” was not commonly used in Greek prior to the first century.
- This word seems to be a Christian expression of love.
- The word really has at its core the essence of value.
- I Love you because I value you.
- So agape love is where I love you because I see the value God has put in you.
- So, what does this look like to love others in this new way?
- Continuing in the verse This phrase tells us we are to love, “like Jesus loved us.”
- Our love must look just like the love of Jesus.
- So, what does that look like?
- John 8:2-11 This story perfectly represents the new command we just saw in John 13:34.
- The old way, law following, would have meant the woman must be killed by stoning.
- Of course, this is what the pharisees wanted to do.
- But Jesus demonstrates the New Way of love.
- Verse 8:6 This verse makes it clear that the teachers of the Law and the Pharisees were not interested in true matters of the law or justice for this woman.
- Their plan was also one of shame and humiliation.
- Notice also what it says in verse 2 They did this very publicly to reinforce shame.
- The story of the woman caught in adultery in John 8 gives us a glimpse of how we can love like Jesus did.
Verse 13:35 Not only are we to love others well for the sake of the other, for their value.
- We are to love others well so that the World can see Jesus in us.
- Loving well gives me identity as a disciple; And loving well is evangelistic.
What are some things we would need to know about loving others well?
First, we must be led by Jesus in this.
- The world has strange definitions and ideas of love.
Second, this will be hard.
- Human nature tends toward Law following.
Third, this might be messy
- As we love well and without judgment, waiting for the Lord to work.
- Often people are reluctant to love this way because they feel it is an endorsement of the other person’s sin.
- But remember this is agape love, which is value-based love. I don’t have to love or endorse their sin.
- I simply love the value that God has put in them. This will attract them to Jesus.